Thursday, January 17, 2013

I live!

While lying awake far too late last night (too much sugar from eating brownies? constant coughing from that cold I can't shake?), I decided I felt like writing again. My old blog, which I lost interest in over the last few years, didn't seem like the right place to start up again, so here I am! Why?
  1. Part of me feels a little stressed or guilty every time I write something that isn't my dissertation. But actually, any writing, however unrelated to my work, helps keep my brain in writing mode and makes the words come more easily when I do get around to the diss.
  2. I'm living in a place where I know almost no one and have few opportunities to make friends, so I'm feeling disconnected. I want to be better at reaching out and staying in touch with friends and family in a venue other than Facebook, which already knows too much about me and where I'm not comfortable addressing personal or controversial topics. (Yes, I realize I'm complaining about Facebook's creepiness on a Google-owned platform, but I'm choosing my battles. That's a post for another time.)
  3. I don't keep a journal, so it would be nice to have some record of what I'm up to and thinking about.
  4. For Peter's sake, I should have somewhere to talk through and share my thoughts. Because I spend most of my time alone, I talk his ear off when he's around. True story: Almost every night he'll finish his dinner before I'm even halfway done because I talk so much.
When I was a freshman in college, I named the first incarnation of my blog "Inane Ramblings of an Incurable Cynic" (although the title later cycled through cynical Vonnegut and Beckett references).  I expect Blog 2.0 will be less cynical, possibly still inane. I imagine I'll write a lot about the things I think a lot about: books, food, feminism, travel, politics. But we'll see. Come along if you'd like!

P.S. I hate thinking of blog titles and addresses, so as often happens, I've resorted to literary references for both. Bonus points if you recognize them without googling.

7 comments:

  1. Cool.... please accept my encouragement ! and maybe a comment now and then... love the images...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! I started thinking of your old blog this weekend and was going to ask if you ever intended to start back up again, and then I forgot. Perhaps I have some psychic tendencies??

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes me so happy! I very much understand that feeling of spending lots of time alone and not having opportunities to meet people. I hope it means lots of blogging from you! (I think I only get one bonus point for the title.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm happy to see you writing a blog again. I have always enjoyed your posts and point of view. I hope we can see each other next time you're in town!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, everyone!

    Courtney, re: psychic tendencies: I think the answer is yes, clearly.

    Megan: I'm not sure even google would help with the other one. It's a street name from Take Three Tenses, an obscure WWII novel I've been writing about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I knew about your first blog before you stopped writing on it, so I'm happy to get to know your blogger here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I miss your old blog so I'm excited that you have started a new one! It will be great to keep in touch with your life.

    ReplyDelete